Family Services York Region respects the privacy of visitors to its website. We strongly believe that if electronic commerce and online activities are to flourish, consumers must be assured that information provided online is used responsibly and appropriately. To protect online privacy, the agency has implemented the following protocol:
FSYR utilizes multiple forms of technology to communicate with clients. When utilizing online platforms and electronic communication, it is FSYR’s policy to:
- Ensure Privacy and confidentiality are protected
- For instance, counselling provided virtually is only offered through secure, end-to-end encrypted platforms and technology containing confidential information (such as virtual counselling platforms, email, voicemail) are password protected
- Inform clients when privacy and confidentiality cannot be protected
- Notably, clients are informed that email communication is not secure and offered alternative modes of communication (such as telephone), as well as how to protect privacy when communicating through email (such as not providing identifying information when possible)
- Clients are also informed that there is a risk of unauthorized access to communication technology
- Discuss limitations of communication technology
- Communication technology is not an appropriate means of accessing crisis support
- Additional limitations of specific forms of communication technology, such as managing complex issues virtually, are addressed as they arise.
Prior to a client utilizing communication technology, the basic principles outlined above and specific details are provided to the client.
About the Information We May Collect
Most of the data and information we collect through our website is used only to help us achieve our mission. It is our policy to collect and store only personal information that our clients knowingly provide.
Casual Website Visitors and General Users
We do not collect any personal information from users browsing our website. When you use the public areas of our website, you are doing so anonymously. We do collect aggregate use information, such as the number of hits (visits) per page. We use aggregate data for internal and marketing purposes, but we don’t collect any personally identifying information.