Skip to content


We've compiled a list of the questions we get asked the most often.

Who can access services?

FSYR provides counselling services to children, youth, adults, couples and families. A “life span” counselling agency, we serve all ages.

How do I start?

The first step is to complete our Application for Service found on our Get Started page. You will then be contacted to arrange a consultation session with a counsellor to discuss your needs and the best service(s) to meet them, at FSYR, or in the community. The counsellor will also provide strategies and resources to take with you.

How much does it cost?

Fees are assessed on a sliding scale according to the individual’s income and ability to pay. A portion of the fee may be covered by subsidy or insurance. No one is turned away because of inability to pay. Proof of income may be required to ensure equity and fairness to those we serve.

Payment is due before services begin. Your counsellor will review our fees and payment policies during your consultation session.

Is there a wait?

The wait times vary depending on the service being accessed. Generally speaking there is a shorter wait time for day-time appointments.

Where are you located?

We have 4 office locations throughout the York Region. View our Contact page for more details. Efforts are made to meet at a place that works best for you and/or your family. For your convenience we also provide counselling services by phone, video, and online (e-counselling).

What languages are spoken?

Our counselling services are available in 11 languages. French language services are available through our partnership with Centre Francophone. Translation services are also available in some of our programs.

Is my information kept confidential?

Your privacy is important to us and your information is kept confidential within the agency. Your records are stored in a secure location or on a secure server.

There are some legal exceptions to confidentiality, such as when we are concerned for your safety or the safety of others or when directed by the court.

Client records may also be audited by non-agency staff for accreditation purposes only. All information will be maintained in strict confidence.

Can I access my records?

If you wish to access your records, a written request is required. If you are requesting a copy of your records, the agency has up to 30 days to respond. A reasonable fee will be charged to cover any related costs. Please ask your counsellor or reception for further information if you require access to your records.

If you believe that the facts in your records are inaccurate or incomplete, you can make a written request to have them corrected. Please allow 30 days for a response from us.

Who are the FSYR staff?

Our professional Master’s level clinicians are licensed either through the College of Registered Psychotherapists, the Ontario College of Social Work, or the College of Psychologists of Ontario.

What if I miss an appointment?

If your appointment time is not convenient for you, please notify your counsellor or call our office more than 24 hours in advance to see if alternative arrangements are possible. We strongly encourage you to keep your scheduled appointment to ensure continuity of service.

You will be charged for missed or cancelled sessions with less than 24 hour notice. If more than two counselling sessions are missed or payment is stopped, you may be asked to go back onto the waitlist.

Your counsellor will outline the attendance and participation expectations of your designated program.

Is parental/guardian consent to services required for children?

Parental/Guardian consent is generally required for children under 16 years of age. However, under the law, a child 12 years or older may access services on their consent alone. 

If a child under 16 has provided their own consent, the counsellor must discuss with them the desirability of involving their parents or guardians. It should be noted, however, that counselling may proceed without the knowledge or approval of the parent/guardian.

When separated or divorced parents share custody of a child, parental consent for counselling is usually required from both parents. This meets our legal obligation, but also creates an inclusive, collaborative environment that will best help your child.

What if I have concerns or complaints?

If you have any concerns or complaints about any aspect of our service, please contact us at 905-895-2371 or toll free 1-888-223-3999 and ask to speak to the Director of Clinical Services and Administration.

Still not finding the answer you’re looking for? Contact us and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.